Cleaning your home regularly is an essential part of maintaining a healthy living environment. Aside from being a strenuous task, many people tend to make some basic mistakes when cleaning their homes. This can happen for a variety of reasons, but a lack of knowledge about the appropriate cleaning products or techniques for different surfaces is the most common one.
Some people feel uncomfortable or self-conscious about having strangers see their messy homes and might feel like they need to clean beforehand. Sometimes they simply lack the time or motivation to clean properly. This is why many Rancho Vistoso, AZ, residents hire home cleaning services.
However, if you have the extra time and prefer cleaning your own home, there are some common mistakes you should be aware of. Read on to find out more about the most common cleaning mistakes and how to avoid them.
What are the common mistakes performed during the cleaning process?
Most people make some usual mistakes that can lead to less effective cleaning, damage to surfaces, or even harm to their health. Avoiding these common mistakes can make the process of cleaning your Rancho Vistoso home effective and less harmful.
- Using the wrong cleaning products. One of the most common mistakes is not using the right type of cleaning products. Different surfaces require different cleaning solutions, and using the wrong product can cause damage or discoloration. For example, using an abrasive cleaner on a delicate surface can cause scratches or even remove the surface’s finish. Always read the label and use the appropriate product for the surface you’re cleaning.
- Not allowing enough dwell time. Dwell time is the amount of time a cleaning solution needs to sit on a surface to clean it effectively. This is especially true for disinfecting surfaces. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and allow the cleaning solution to sit on the surface for the recommended amount of time before wiping it away. This ensures that the surface is fully disinfected and free of harmful pathogens.
- Not dusting before vacuuming. Vacuuming can stir up dust and debris, making it harder to clean surfaces effectively. Always dust surfaces before vacuuming to ensure that you are removing as much dust and dirt as possible. This also helps to prevent the spread of allergens and other harmful particles in the air.
- Using too much water. This mistake can cause damage to surfaces such as wood, laminate, or carpet. Excess water can seep into the surface and cause warping or mold growth. Use the appropriate amount of water and always dry surfaces thoroughly after cleaning. Additionally, make sure to use the appropriate cleaning products for these surfaces to avoid damaging them with too much water.
- Not wearing protective gear. Many cleaning products contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful to your skin and respiratory system. Always wear protective gloves, a mask, and eye protection when cleaning to prevent exposure to these chemicals. This is especially important when using bleach or other disinfectants, which can cause skin irritation and breathing issues.
- Not keeping your cleaning equipment clean. Many people forget to clean their cleaning tools after using them, which can lead to the spread of germs and bacteria. Always clean your sponges, brushes, and mop heads after using them. This way you won’t be spreading harmful pathogens from one surface to another.
- Using dirty cleaning cloths. Similarly, using dirty cleaning cloths can also spread germs and bacteria. Always use clean cloths and wash them after each use. You can also use disposable cleaning wipes for added convenience.
- Not cleaning high-touch surfaces. High-touch surfaces such as doorknobs, light switches, and countertops are more likely to harbor germs and bacteria. Make sure to clean these surfaces frequently to prevent the spread of illness. This is especially important during cold and flu season or during a pandemic.
- Overlooking hidden areas. Make sure to clean behind appliances, under furniture, and inside cabinets. These areas can harbor dust, dirt, and even pests. Clean these areas regularly to keep your home clean and healthy.
- Using too much force when cleaning delicate surfaces. Scrubbing too hard on delicate surfaces such as marble or granite can cause scratches or even remove the surface’s finish. Always use a gentle touch and an appropriate product when cleaning delicate surfaces to avoid damaging them.
Who in Rancho Vistoso, AZ, provides the most professional home cleaning services?
If all these rules seem overwhelming to you, or you lack the time and skills to do it properly, The Maid Connection has your back! We have the experience and know-how to make your home spotless efficiently and safely. You can go about your day or take a few hours to yourself relaxing at Honey Bee Canyon Park, knowing that your home is in good hands.